This article is a stub.
You can help TVRS Wiki by expanding it.
- "But if you’re really interested in it, then skip the crap and go straight for the Valve Index."
The Valve Index is a VR headset. It comes bundled with Half-Life: Alyx, and it uses external tracking. At least one base station is required, though two are recommended. The Valve Index is also compatible with the Vive Base Stations and the Vive Controllers.
Obtaining a Valve Index
While it is considered one of the highest quality VR headsets available on the market, it is currently experiencing shipping delays due to the COVID-19 outbreak. It may take up to 8 weeks or more to obtain one. Those who wish to purchase the Valve Index are put on a waiting list. After approximately 8 weeks, a green button to complete the purchase will appear on the recent purchases page. Once they purchase it, it will normally take several more days to ship. However, the availability to purchase a Valve Index only has a brief window of time. Thus, one should check the Recent Purchases page regularly while waiting for the Valve Index's shipping status to process.
Although the Valve Index is known to work on some laptops, a desktop system is recommended due to the need of a DisplayPort. The Valve Index does not support HDMI, and it will not work with DisplayPort to HDMI adapters. Laptop users should be sure to verify they have a DisplayPort capable USB-C or Thunderbolt connector.
The USB and DisplayPort cables are shared together and have a short split off points. The USB cable must go into a USB 3.0 port and the DisplayPort cable must go directly into the GPU. If your current PC build has the two ports separated by a significant distance, it is highly recommended to obtain an extension cable as stretching the cables to reach the ports can cause damage. A USB 3.0 hub will also work with the Valve Index with no reduction in quality.
- OS: Windows 10, SteamOS, Linux
- Processor: Dual Core with Hyper-Threading
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 / AMD RX480
- Network: Broadband Internet connection
- Additional Notes: Available DisplayPort (Version1.2) and USB (2.0+) Port required
- Processor: Quad Core+
- Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 or better
- Additional Notes: Available USB (3.0+) Port required for Headset Pass-Through Camera